The word ‘break’ can mean many different things. As a verb, the meaning is to separate (by accident or due to age) or interrupt.
- My sister broke my toy car. (separate)
- My lie-in was broken by a noisy cat. (interrupt)
Break is an irregular verb. The past tense is broke and the past participle is broken.
phrasal verbs with break
Phrasal verbs with ‘break’ include:
- Break down (stop functioning)
- Break in/into (force entry)
- Break out in (develop a skin condition)
- Break out (escape)
- Break something down (divide)
- Break up (separate)
Let’s learn the meaning of the phrasal verbs that contain the verb ‘break’ in more detail and see some examples in use.